EV1380QI: 8A PowerSoC Step-Down Converter for DDR Memory VTT
- Integrated inductor
- 8A continuous output current (sourcing and sinking)
- No airflow or heat sink required at maximum load over industrial temperature range (-40oC to +85oC)
- 1.0V to 1.8V input range
- Scaled version of VDDQ applied directly to VREF
- Superior noise and ripple performance, exceeding VTT requirements
- Output voltage tracks VDDQ ±1%
- Nominal 1.5 MHz operating frequency with the ability to synchronize to an external clock source or serve as the primary source
- Monotonic output voltage ramp during start-up with pre-bias loads
- Master/slave configuration for paralleling up to two EV1380QIs for greater power output
- Power good signal
- Outstanding power density
- 8.0 mm x 11.0 mm x 3.0 mm QFN package
- Fully RoHS compliant and Pb-free manufacturing line compatible
The increasing number and capacity of memory modules in enterprise products such as servers is creating the need for high-efficiency voltage termination (VTT) solutions to minimize power loss. This needs to be achieved within a smaller PCB footprint, while still meeting the DDR2/DDR3/DDR4 requirements for tracking accuracy and AC + DC regulation.
The Intel® Enpirion® EV1380QI 8A high-efficiency memory termination voltage step-down converter, designed for VTT applications, provides an excellent combination of solution size and efficiency. This switch-mode DC-DC converter is a complete power system on a chip (PowerSoC), integrating the inductor, power switches, gate drive, controller, and loop compensation in a tiny 8.0 mm x 11.0 mm x 3.0 mm QFN package. The EV1380QI also offers 94% efficiency.
With the power requirements increasing on the VTT rail, it is especially critical to use DC-DC converters that offer the best combination of solution size and efficiency. The EV1380 helps to dramatically reduce power loss without sacrificing PCB area.