† Tests measure performance of components on a particular test, in specific systems. Differences in hardware, software, or configuration will affect actual performance. Consult other sources of information to evaluate performance as you consider your purchase. For more complete information about performance and benchmark results, visit www.intel.com/benchmarks.
EV1320QI: 2A PowerSoC Step-Down Converter for DDR Memory VTT
- Source and sink up to 2A
- Complies with JEDEC specifications for powering DDR2/3/4/QDR and low-power DDR3/4 devices
- Operates directly from VDDQ; low VIN range from 0.95V to 1.8V
- Output VTT precisely tracks ½ VDDQ voltage
- Small 40 mm2 solution area; with 0.55 mm low profile
- No external inductor required
- Ultra-high 96% efficiency
- Parallel up to four devices for 8A VTT load current
- Enable pin with output discharge to support S3 (suspend to RAM) mode
- Programmable soft-start time, soft shutdown
- Thermal overload, overcurrent, short circuit, and under-voltage protection
- Fully RoHS compliant and Pb-free manufacturing line compatible
DDR memory implementations require two main supplies: a core supply (VDDQ) and a memory termination supply (VTT) with source/sink capability. The most prevalent solutions for the VTT termination power supply use a low-dropout regulator (LDO). An LDO provides a small footprint, low noise, and low cost but with poor efficiency. The associated heat often causes design issues in high-density, thermally sensitive applications. The other traditional design option uses a discrete source/sink DC-DC switching regulator solution with much better efficiency, but at the expense of larger PCB footprint and much higher solution cost.
The Intel® Enpirion® EV1320QI is an ideal source/sink DDR termination converter, offering excellent performance with low cost and a tiny solution footprint. The EV1320 deliver nearly two times the efficiency at or below the cost of commonly used VTT LDOs†. The VTT converter accepts an input voltage of 0.95V to 1.8V. Multiple EV1320QI converters may be placed in parallel to support larger DDR memory capacities (higher load requirements). The EV1320QI complies with JEDEC specifications, in particular tracking accuracy and AC + DC requirements for supporting DDR2/DDR/DDR4/QDR and low-power DDR3/DDR4 VTT applications.
DDR Memory Termination (VTT) Power Options†
||Linear Regulator (Typ)||Intel Enpirion EV1320 Converter||Switching Regulator (Typ)|
|Solution Size (mm2)||~88||40||~200 to 300|
|Efficiency @ Peak (%)||50||96||88 to 92|
|Power Loss @ 2A (W)||1.8||0.08||0.2|
|Relative Power Loss @ 2A||24x||1x||~2.6x|